December 16, 2016 10:04 am
Media from all over the world have echoed the news this week: Former Portuguese Prime Minister António Guterres was sworn in Monday as Secretary-General of the United Nations, becoming the ninth U.N. chief in the body’s 71-year history.
Sworn in has been probably one of the most repeated term these days. Do you know what it means? We would like to use this occasion to have a closer look at it!
According to the Cambridge Dictionary, to swear in means: to make a formal promise to be honest or loyal, either in a law court or when starting a new official job.
So, for those who have been disconnected of the current affairs lately, the General Assembly has appointed by acclamation the former Prime Minister of Portugal, António Guterres, as the next United Nations Secretary-General to succeed Ban Ki-moon when he steps down on 31 December.
Mr. Guterres, aged 67, was Prime Minister of Portugal from 1995 to 2002, and the UN High Commissioner for Refugees from June 2005 to December 2015. He will become the world’s top diplomat on 1 January 2017, and hold that post for the next five years. Read more here.
This is the moment when Mr. Guterres was sworn in as Secretary-General of the United Nations, at a ceremony presided over by the UN General Assembly President, Peter Thomson.
(Video credit: UN News Centre)
Written by Ana Baudot. Journalist and Social media manager.
Communication Trainee, DG TRAD – Terminology Coordination Unit
- Cambridge English Dictionary. 2016. swear sb in Definition in the Cambridge English Dictionary. [ONLINE] Available at: http://dictionary.cambridge.org/us/dictionary/english/swear-sb-in. [Accessed 15 December 2016].
- CBS News. 2016. Antonio Guterres sworn in as United Nations secretary-general – CBS News. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.cbsnews.com/news/antonio-guterres-former-portugal-prime-minister-united-nations-secretary-general/. [Accessed 15 December 2016].
- New York Times. 2016. António Guterres, Sworn In as U.N.’s Next Leader |New York Times. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.nytimes.com/2016/12/12/us/antonio-guterres-united-nations.html?_r=1. [Accessed 15 December 2016].
- Reuters. 2016. Portugal’s Guterres sworn in as next U.N. secretary-general | Reuters. [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.reuters.com/article/us-un-guterres-idUSKBN14121H. [Accessed 15 December 2016].
- UN News Service Section. 2016. United Nations News Centre – António Guterres appointed next UN Secretary-General by acclamation . [ONLINE] Available at: http://www.un.org/apps/news/story.asp?NewsID=55285#.WFKbx3qvzh4. [Accessed 15 December 2016].
- YouTube. 2016. UN News Centre – YouTube. [ONLINE] Available at: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCKNIcuMBo4S6GLY9xNCRS-Q. [Accessed 15 December 2016].
3,171 total views, 2 views today