Here we come with a new series of I-ATE articles based on books published by different EU institutions that highlight recipes from each European Union Member State. For this week’s I-ATE Food Term, we will focus on Denmark.
Sliced bread topped with prawns, trout and herbs (Smørrebrød med rejer, ørred og krydderurter)
INGREDIENTS (serves 4)
• 2 slices of bread
• 15 g of butter
• 50 g of pre-cooked prawns
• 1 teaspoon of fresh chopped herbs (basil, chives and tarragon)
• 3 eggs
• 1 clove of garlic
• ½ a smoked trout
• ½ a cucumber
• Dill to garnish
• Crème fraîche to taste
Chop the garlic finely and fry it in some oil or butter. Break the eggs directly into the pan. Add salt and pepper and stir until the desired consistency is achieved (a little cream can be added to make it more indulgent and improve the texture). Toast the slices of bread, and spread generously with butter. Top with layers of the smoked trout, scrambled eggs, prawns and slices of cucumber. Sprinkle with the dill.
Potato-leek soup served with whole grain rolls (Kartoffelporresuppe med grovboller)
INGREDIENTS (serving 1 child – primary school)
Potatoes 75 g
Parsley roots, parsnips or celery 75 g
Leeks 50 g
Olive oil 10 g
Broth 150 ml
Milk (1.5% fat) 25 ml
Tomatoes 30 g
Roasted pumpkin seeds 20 g
Whole grain bun 1 piece
Salt * and pepper
* Consider herbs and spices as an alternative to salt.
1. Thinly slice potatoes, parsley roots and leeks and chop the garlic.
2. Cook the vegetables in the oil, in a large pot, until soft.
3. Add the broth, bring to the boil, then let simmer for about 30 minutes.
4. Add the milk and bring to the boil again, stirring gently.
5. Season with salt and pepper.
6. Place the soup into serving bowls.
7. Cut the tomatoes into cubes.
8. Add the tomatoes and the roasted pumpkin seeds to the soup.
9. Garnish with parsley.
Tip: Roasted pumpkin seeds can be substituted with roasted sunflower seeds.
- European Commission, Directorate-General Agriculture and Rural Development, 2013. Tastes of Europe: A culinary voyage through Europe in 27 recipes. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union, pp 10-11
- European Commission, 2016. Lunch at school: Recipe book. Luxembourg: Publications Office of the European Union, pp 6
Written by Marta Guillén Martínez – Communication Trainee at the Terminology Coordination Unit of the European Parliament (Luxembourg). She holds a Degree in Advertising and Public Relations from the University of Alicante, Spain and she did her European Voluntary Service on communication and european youth mobility in Milan, Italy. She speaks Spanish, Catalan, English and Italian.