Connecting to a Wi-Fi network will become easier thanks to the decision of the European Parliament to provide free internet access throughout Europe.
The European Parliament voted Tuesday in favor of the establishment of WiFi4EU, a free Wi-Fi network throughout the European Union, which will be available in public spaces, such as public parks, squares, buildings, libraries, health centres and museums.
For this reason, the IATE Term of the Week is Wi-Fi internet access.
The Oxford Dictionary defines Wi-Fi as “a facility allowing computers, smartphones, or other devices to connect to the Internet or communicate with one another wirelessly within a particular area.”
Here you can see the entry for Wi-Fi internet access in IATE:
The proposed network, WiFi4EU, will receive a budget of 120 million euros between 2017 and 2019, in order to establish Wi-Fi internet access in at least 6,000 communities by 2020. This budget will fund the equipment and installation costs at the internet access points. The public bodies applying for the network are then expected to pay for the internet subscription as well as the maintenance of the equipment for three years.
EU funding will only be available for public bodies who exclude commercial advertising and the use of personal data in the network.
Applications for this program will be done online. The first call for these applications is expected in either late 2017 or early 2018. Applicants will be chosen on a first-come, first-served basis, while ensuring that all Member States will benefit from this programme.
[su_note note_color=”#dcea0f”][su_button url=”http://termcoord.eu/contribute-to-iate/” style=”flat”]Contribute to IATE![/su_button] We would appreciate your contribution to update this term in your language. An IATE terminologist of the relevant language will be in charge of the validation of contributions and, thus, a delay is to be expected.[/su_note]
If you are interested in this subject, we recommend previous related IATE Terms of the Week:
- European Parliament (2017) WiFi4Eu: New EU scheme for free internet access. Available at: http://bit.ly/2w47laz (Accessed 12 September 2017)
- European Commission (2017) WiFi4EU | Free Wi-Fi for Europeans. Available at: http://bit.ly/2uhalfW (Accessed 11 September 2017)
- European Commission (2017) Factsheet on WiFi4EU. Available at: http://bit.ly/2cpoHRA (Accessed 11 September 2017)
- European Commission (2017) Digital Single Market: EU negotiators agree on the WiFi4EU initiative. Available at: http://bit.ly/2qsAzgR (Accessed 11 September 2017)
- European Commission (2017) European Commission – Fact Sheet. Available at: http://bit.ly/2s8InnJ (Accessed 11 September 2017)
Written by Flora Zempleni. Flora is a study visitor in the communication team of the Terminology Coordination Unit of the European Parliament (Luxembourg). She is currently enrolled in the trilingual Master in Learning and Communication in Multilingual and Multicultural Contexts at the University of Luxembourg.